All about Finland Helsinki 1st day [] Vantaa airport> Kauppatori> Senate square> Helsinki cathedral> St.John church> Esplanadi park> Stockmann> Tram trip

I have a variety of topics blog in korean, but I want to share about self guided trips with all over the world’s people. So I make a new blog in English and I wish my stories help someone who is ready to trip.

First travel note is about Finland, summer of 2013.

I was going to visit to Finland first, Sweden, Norway, Danmark and back to Korea by a transfer plane. I didn’t know then how can I buy flight ticket cheaply. I bought ticket in air ticket sales site and it recommended round-trip tickets as different airline. In short, I bought two one-way tickets so it was very expensive. If you want to visit to various countries, judging from this situation, it is advisable to purchase long-distance tickets from one airline and short-distance tickets separately. For example, buy round-trip tickets from Korea to Finland at the Finnair and one-way tickets from the last destination of trip, Denmark to Finland.



It’s my first travel to Europe, so I was very excited and I didn’t know what to do in the flight. I took a nap, ate in-flight meals, studied simple English conversation, and organized my schedule, watched movies, so 10 hours passed quickly.



Because the earth is spherical, the curved path that turns higher latitude than the straight line will shorten the time. The concept of the shortest straight line between two points is limited to flat surface  so I could confirm by the flight’s route.



Arrived Helsinki Vantaa airport, I bought Helsinki Card. It made me have free entry to Helsinki’s attraction and museum, take free public transport includs Hop On Hop Off bus. Helsinki Card has 3 types so you can choose type and  valid time according your schedule and save your money. After bought this card, I had to open it by myself, I wrote date and time when I used it first.
And I said it my first time Travel to Europe, I heard so many questions from an entry officer. “Do you go back to Korea after? Where do you visit? How many days do you stay?”... It was so hard time for me...



I took a flight almost 10 hours, but it seems just 4 hours passed. I felt that I backed to the past. It took 30 minutes by city bus from Vantaa airport to Helsinki central station and fare was 6 euros. I went to pension and laid down my luggage and I visited market square, Kauppatori.



@Kauppatori; Market square
Open_ 6:30 ~ 18:00
You can buy various vegetables, fruits and handicrafts cheaply even light meals.
There are open cafe, habor nearby Kauppatori so you can take a walk of have a tea time.



@Senaatintori; Senate square
The Senate plaza in front of the cathedral is covered with 400,000 granite and a statue of Alexander II stands on the floor. Besides the cathedral, Helsinki's iconic plaza, surrounded by university, library and government office, often houses many outdoor cafes and souvenir shops.

@Tuomio kirko; Helsinki cathedral
Open_ 9:00 ~ 24:00 (summer)
Helsinki Cathedral is a Lutheran church that the majority of Finland believes in, and the neo-classical style of Ivory building is impressive with a light green dome.



@Johannes kirkko; St.john’s church
The church where I happened to visit on the way. It has two tall spires along the neo-gothic style, and the chandeliers inside are impressive.



@Esplanadi park
It’s big city park in Helsinki, and I saw many couples and families. It was so peaceful evening.



@Stockmann helsingin keskusta; Stockmann department store
I like to visit shopping mall or department store while traveling because I can see local people’s ordinary life. 
I had dinner at the restaurant in the Department store, I didn’t know Which menu I choose. I asked staff which menu is best and I was recomended pizza with rare beef. 
Rare?? Ummm... it was exactly raw. Actually, I had never eaten raw beef!!! So I tried to eat it, but I couldn't eat all. Removed beef from pizza and I ate only pizza. 😂 The beef was with hub salt so if someone like raw beef, maybe like it. People in the restaurant who was around me, was eating this menu.



@tram trip
Take tram line 3T and transfer line 3B, you can round Helsinki city. It's the way of enjoying your benefit of Helsinki card. 
I like to take a circle line tram in the evening when all affections and museum are closed. 




I was waiting for the tram in front of the Senate Plaza station to return to my pension. I felt the long daytime hours in the same sky as in the early evening, even though it was past 9pm.

댓글