All about Copenhagen-Malmö 3/4 [] Malmo main spuare > Copenhagen Tivoli amusement park

 A Journey to Escape the Heat: A 2013 Summer Trip through Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark

This travelogue was updated in 2020. Please note that operating hours can vary depending on the season and that there may be regular closure days as well as closures on specific holidays such as Christmas, Epiphany, and New Year's Day. Therefore, when planning your schedule, be sure to check Google Maps or the official websites directly.

Evening in Malmö: A Quiet Arrival in Sweden's Southern City

After a day of exploring and mishaps in Denmark, I found myself crossing the Øresund Strait, heading from Copenhagen to the Swedish city of Malmö. What time was it? Honestly, it was hard to tell. The long summer days in Scandinavia mean that the sun seems to hang in the sky forever, making it difficult to gauge the time. Given my late start and the nearly two-hour detour earlier, it was already early evening by the time I arrived in Malmö.

As I stepped out onto the streets, the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. With few people around, I initially thought Malmö was just a small, sleepy town. However, I soon learned that Malmö is actually one of Sweden's larger cities. The quietness I observed was simply because most people were already indoors, enjoying their evening meals. When I eventually wandered into the main square, the atmosphere was entirely different—restaurants were bustling with life, and the square was filled with people enjoying their dinners and conversations.

Malmö is a big city, but it may not necessarily top the list of tourist hotspots. At the time, my research had pointed me to a few key sights: the Turning Torso, a striking twisted skyscraper; St. Petri Church, an impressive Gothic building; Malmö Park; and the Malmö City Hall Square. While these were the highlights I planned to see, it’s possible that newer guidebooks now list even more attractions to explore. Despite its size, Malmö felt calm and laid-back, a city where life moves at a more relaxed pace. So, rather than rushing from one attraction to the next, I decided to simply enjoy the atmosphere, wandering through the streets and taking in the evening air. Even if my day hadn’t gone exactly as planned, Malmö’s quiet charm was the perfect way to wind down and reflect on the adventures of the day.
After wandering through the streets of Malmö and taking in the sights, I realized that time had slipped away from me. I’m someone who likes to take my time with meals, and with the evening growing late, the thought of sitting down for dinner and then rushing back to Copenhagen felt a bit too overwhelming. Instead, I decided to wind down with a relaxing tea time before making my way back.

As I explored the area, I came across a familiar sight—Espresso House. I had visited one of these cozy cafes during my time in Finland and was happy to find one here in Malmö as well. It seemed like the perfect spot to take a breather, so I ordered a cup of coffee and settled in for a while. The warm atmosphere of the café, combined with the comforting aroma of freshly brewed coffee, was just what I needed to recharge.
Once I felt ready to head back, I made my way to the train station and boarded the next train to Copenhagen. The ride back wasn’t exactly peaceful, though. I found myself sharing a carriage with a lively group of young people who were having a bit of a party, complete with bottles of alcohol and plenty of loud laughter. It was a noisy journey, to say the least, but I couldn’t help but smile at their youthful exuberance. Despite the raucous company, the train ride passed quickly, and before I knew it, I was back in Copenhagen, ready to call it a night after a day full of unexpected twists and turns.

Your reflection on the day’s journey made me chuckle—traveling all the way to Malmö just for a cup of coffee definitely has that same vibe as flying to Japan just for a bowl of udon or jetting off to Paris for a fresh baguette. It’s those quirky little moments in travel that make the stories memorable, even if they don’t go exactly as planned.
After wrapping up the somewhat anticlimactic visits to Odense and Malmö, it was time to return to Copenhagen. As I think about it, there’s a more efficient way to structure the trip for anyone who might be planning something similar. If you're traveling from Norway to Denmark, specifically from Oslo to Copenhagen, it could make a lot of sense to stop in Malmö for a half-day visit. This way, you can explore the city briefly before continuing your journey to Copenhagen, making the most of your travel time and ensuring a more seamless itinerary.

In the end, though my visits to both Odense and Malmö didn’t quite hit the mark, they were part of the journey, and every experience adds a little something to the story. Plus, there’s always next time for a more carefully planned adventure!

@Tivoli

After a series of misadventures, including hopping on the wrong train in Odense and finding myself at closed attractions in Malmö, I finally made it back to Copenhagen. Determined to salvage the evening, I decided to check out Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen’s famous amusement park that inspired Walt Disney in the creation of Disneyland. Tivoli is known for its enchanting nighttime atmosphere, with thousands of twinkling lights and a mix of rides, games, and live performances. On weekdays, it stays open until 11 PM, and on Fridays and weekends, you can enjoy it until midnight. 
However, by the time I arrived, it was already past 10 PM. Unfortunately, most of the rides were on their last run for the night, and many of the park’s food stands and shops had already closed for the evening. Despite that, the park still had a magical charm, with the beautiful lights reflecting on the ponds and the faint sounds of the last few rides in operation. Even though I didn’t get to experience the full excitement of Tivoli, it was still worth the visit. The atmosphere alone, with its blend of history, culture, and the sparkling lights, was a fitting end to a day of travel hiccups and unexpected detours.
The charm of Tivoli Gardens, however, is undeniable. The park’s enchanting ambiance, with its stunning lights and beautifully designed landscapes, still made for a magical experience even without the rides and attractions in full swing. It’s a reminder of how a well-planned trip can sometimes go awry, leaving a sense of bittersweetness and missed opportunities.

If you plan to visit Tivoli Gardens, I highly recommend using the Copenhagen Card for free entry. If you’re not interested in the rides but want to enjoy the park’s unique atmosphere and beautiful night views, consider arriving in the afternoon or early evening to avoid long lines and to experience the park at its best.

Although the final day didn’t go as perfectly as I’d hoped, Tivoli Gardens still offered a glimpse of Copenhagen’s charm and capped off a nearly two-week journey with its own kind of magic.

댓글