All about 2014 Hongkong 1/4 [] Chungking mansion > Nathan road > 1881 Heritage > Sogo department store > SaSa perfume shopping

  2014 Hong Kong and Singapore Trip

Towards The Equator

In January 2014, I decided to visit Singapore with a stopover in Hong Kong via Cathay Pacific Airways. A stopover is a service that allows you to stay in a layover city for a few days before heading to your final destination when booking directly on the airline's website. For example, Cathay Pacific is a major airline based in Hong Kong, so when traveling to another country via this airline, you can also take a few days to explore Hong Kong. If you’re using an airline from a third country rather than your own or the destination country, it's a great opportunity to explore the country of that airline. The price is the same whether you choose to have a stopover or directly connect to your final destination.

To ease the regret from my 2012 trip to Hong Kong and enjoy a warm winter in Singapore, I opted for a Hong Kong stopover with Cathay Pacific. The fare was 480,000 KRW, which was cheaper than flying directly to Singapore with Singapore Airlines and not much different from a round-trip ticket to Hong Kong alone.

@Chungking Mansions  

Located near Exit G of Tsim Sha Tsui Station on Nathan Road, this place was the setting for the movie *Chungking Express*. You’ll encounter a surreal scene here, with South Asian immigrants approaching you with fluent Korean, offering “Miss, want a fake handbag?” or “Madam, Rolex, Louis Vuitton!” There are guesthouses inside, but the area isn't known for its safety.  

My first day was dedicated to shopping. I visited several malls around Tsim Sha Tsui, including the IT Outlet on the third floor of the Silvercord Mall on Haiphong Road, Harbour City, Lane Crawford, and various casual clothing stores. Before I knew it, evening had arrived.

@Nathan Road  

Home to luxury boutiques and a variety of shops.

@Godiva in Harbour City  

After inhaling some ice cream and a chocolate drink, I felt revitalized. When you're worn out from shopping, sugar is the best medicine.
I had a meal at the food court. When they served me a drink with my meal, I wondered why, but as soon as I started eating, it made sense. The dishes, often stir-fried or cooked with lots of oil, practically begged for a carbonated drink after just a few bites. In Korea, you typically pay at the register and pick up your food at the respective stall, but Hong Kong's system was a bit different. I can't quite remember, but I think you ordered at the stall first, then paid at the cashier.  
Nearby, there was a South Asian family with children, and they let their child stand on the table with shoes on. It reminded me of a flight on Qatar Airways where a mother from that region ignored her crying child, and I almost developed a negative stereotype.

@1881 Heritage  

Despite its name, it was actually built in 1884. The site now houses cafes, restaurants, and shops, and the night view is stunning.

@Sogo Department Store  

After dinner, most shopping centers were closing, but I wasn't ready to head back to my hotel yet. So, I wandered around Sogo Department Store, which stays open until 10 PM. It's a Japanese-owned department store you can find in several Southeast Asian countries.

I also visited a cosmetics shop called Sa Sa. It's similar to Olive Young in Korea. Whenever I pass by a Sa Sa store, I always stop in to see if they have a mini version of my favorite perfume.
Miracle Romance!!! They had Sailor Moon cosmetic products. Nowadays, there are many beauty products available, but this was when the 20th anniversary of Sailor Moon was sparking a new wave of merchandise and projects. These items weren’t available in Korea at the time, but they were already on sale in Hong Kong. The display featured a brooch-shaped powder compact and a brush pen eyeliner.
I stopped by the fruit shop I used to visit daily during my last trip. Even though two years had passed, the shop and the owner were still the same, and I felt a bit nostalgic. Just like back then, I asked for a mango to continue my tradition of “one mango a day.” However, the owner kept insisting, “Mangosteen~ Mangosteen~,” offering me something that looked like a red onion. I politely declined and stuck to my mangoes. But later, in Singapore, a friend introduced me to that red-onion-looking mangosteen, and I fell in love with it. I regretted not trying it when the owner recommended it, realizing he wasn’t trying to offload old stock but genuinely offering something delicious. I felt both thankful and sorry to him.
I promised myself that if I ever returned to Hong Kong, I’d visit that shop again and buy plenty of both mangoes and mangosteens.  

As I wandered back to my hotel with my mangoes, I got lost in the maze of alleys. My phone’s battery had just died when a woman approached me, offering to help guide me to my hotel. Even though she wasn’t too familiar with the area, she diligently led me around until we finally found it. Her dedication to helping me find my way made me feel grateful, and the fresh battery in my bag that I couldn’t bring myself to pull out was left unused.
It was late at night, but I was truly thankful to the woman who helped me like it was her own place. It made me resolve to help any lost foreign tourists I might encounter in Korea (though I’m not sure if I’d actually have the courage to do so).

댓글